I’ll be a bit busy tomorrow, whatever the results in our household, as I will be in College supporting students who are disappointed by their results and who need help and advice.
So…, this is my advice if you’re in the same boat and results aren’t quite as expected:
· Don’t panic!
· Make sure your son/daughter has checked Track on UCAS, which should be live from 7am tomorrow. The university may still have confirmed the place even if a grade has been dropped. If no decision has been posted yet it could mean the university is still considering. If this is the case try phoning them to see if they are still likely to offer a place.
· Your son/daughter will need to do the phoning and will need their applicant number handy. Your moral support may or may not be welcome at this point!
· If the first choice is unsuccessful, do they meet the grades for the insurance choice? Yes? Great – assuming they’re still happy to go there. No? Then they’re eligible for Clearing.
· The procedure for Clearing is clearly explained on the UCAS website www.ucas.com/clearing
· Seek advice from school/college staff who should be available on results day. They will also be able to advise on script recalls/remarks and resits. UCAS also have a helpline – see www.ucas.com/examresultshelpline
· Initially your son/daughter may be too distraught to do anything. Advise against any hasty decisions.
· Courses available in Clearing should be considered as carefully as the original choices. Try to visit if you can before making a final decision. Bear in mind that halls of residence may not have spaces left.
· Places available in Clearing may be slightly different day to day, so keep looking.
· Rather than rushing into a hasty decision, how would your son/daughter view a gap year, applying again in a couple of months’ time?
Let’s pray for peace of mind and a good night’s sleep for all concerned tonight!
“For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future”. Jeremiah 29:11